|Course Title||Connecting People with Nature Through Birds
Birds make a perfect means for connecting people to nature. Birds are awake and active when we are; they are relatively easy to spot and hear; and, birds are in every backyard. Moreover, research has shown that the ability to identify birds heightens awareness and creates a sense of stewardship among youth and adults. In this course, explore tried and true activities that engage people in bird watching. Even if you are not a birder you will find these activities easy to implement. Specifically, participants will learn to teach others basic bird identification; explore resources including citizen science and bird mist netting programs; discuss current bird conservation issues; and discover the possibilities of inspiring interest in birds through festivals.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
• Teach others basic bird identification using a wide array of classroom and field techniques and activities.
• Apply group management techniques and skills to bird identification programs in the field.
• Describe the inquiry process and existing Citizen Science programs that are available.
• Identify ways to attract formal educators and Latino audiences to your programs.
• Identify tools needed to plan a successful bird festival.
• Access resources and integrate mist netting safely into your education program.
• Exchange ideas and gain new skills from fellow educators.
• Articulate bird conservation issues.
Educators, outdoor recreation planners, naturalists/interpreters, community outreach specialists, extension agents, resource managers, and others involved in educating people about birds and their conservation.
Tuition Fees: Please refer to the 'Class Cost to Learner' displayed in the Class Details for the specific class session you wish to attend.
|Delivery Method||Instructor Led
|Course Content Contact||Michelle Donlan; firstname.lastname@example.org; ;
|Curriculum Category||Environmental Education
|DOI LEARN Course Type||ILT
|Extracted from DOI LEARN on||10/4/2015 4:00:28 AM