|Course Title||Scenario Planning Toward Climate Change Adaptation
Scenario planning is a valuable decision support method for integrating irreducible and uncontrollable uncertainties into climate change adaptation and other planning in natural resource management. This overview course will introduce the core elements of scenario planning and expose participants to a diversity of approaches and specific scenario development techniques that incorporate both qualitative and quantitative components. Participants will learn how scenario planning can be integrated into planning frameworks and be complementary with other decision support methods. This course will provide participants with the skills needed to assess the appropriateness of scenario planning for their needs, and identify the resources and expertise needed to conduct a scenario planning exercise that will meet established objectives. The course is developed in partnership with the Wildlife Conservation Society and the U.S. Geological Survey.
Objectives: At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Describe basic steps and appropriate uses of scenario planning;
- Navigate the many approaches and understand their application.
- Construct situation-appropriate qualitative scenarios using a few scenario development techniques; and
- Outline considerations for moving from qualitative to quantitative scenarios.
- Assess objectives, goals, and strategies across multiple scenarios, and articulate basic principles for using this approach to select management options Integrate scenario planning into structured decision making processes.
- Develop monitoring plans and decision timelines, and determine triggers for future decisions.
Target Audience: Natural resource managers, conservation professionals, and planners. A basic understanding of climate change concepts and science is recommended and may be acquired through pre-course materials. No previous exposure to Scenario Planning or any other decision support method is required.
|Delivery Method||Instructor Led
|Primary Contact||JILL DEL VECCHIO; Phone: 304-876-7424; Email: email@example.com;
|Secondary Contact||CHRISTY COGHLAN; Phone: 304.876.7438; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
|Extracted from DOI LEARN on||3/12/2014 4:01:58 AM