Registration opens for FWS in the Fall of each year.
Please do not apply at this time.
Please contact the Course Leader, firstname.lastname@example.org if you need more information regarding
Partners Academy – Managing by Network (CLM8123)
The Partnership Academy: Managing by Network is an interagency applied learning course designed to strengthen the partnership and community collaboration skills of BLM, NPS, USFWS and USFS managers, specialists and front line supervisors. Participants learn the principles and techniques of managing by network through peer-learning, case studies, interactive exercises and facilitated discussion. The learning occurs among a cohort of colleagues from the sister agencies.
The online class meets twice a month for nine months and consists of a total of seventeen two-hour webinars. During the webinars, the contracted lead instructor with guest instructors from public agencies, the private sector and the nonprofit community share knowledge and insights on partnerships management that includes collaborative leadership, entrepreneurship, ethics, evaluation, managing agreements, negotiations, partner cultural awareness and more. A Partnership Academy website with course materials, library, videos, case studies and news is offered as a companion to the online class.
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to accelerate progress on partnership projects or programs and mission related goals by:
• Applying knowledge and practices from 22 partnership and community collaboration competencies identified by the coordinating agencies (BLM, NPS, USFS, USFWS) and featured in the book, Governing by Network (Brookings Institute Press)
• Applying core principles of partnership management in the context of accountability, collaboration and external awareness
• Building trust with external partners by honing a communication skills set that includes: facilitation, influencing and negotiation, conflict resolution and partner cultural awareness
• Leveraging partnerships, through a better understanding of fundraising, donations, nonprofit and governance policies and practices related to formal and informal agreements and
• Identifying appropriate evaluation methodologies to assess partnership success.
Target Audience: BLM, NPS, USFWS and USFS managers, specialists and front line supervisors working with partnerships
The course begins in January and ends in September and registration is currently CLOSED. The selection process will begin again later in the year. Check back for changes in this description for exact registration period.
This is for FWS registration only. Registration for other partner agencies is handled through another process. Contact your respective agency for more information.