|Course Title||Endangered Species Listing and Candidate Assessment
TUITION FEES: The Cost To Learner displayed in the Course Details is an approximate amount. Please refer to the 'Class Cost to Learner' displayed in the Class Details for the specific class session you wish to attend. Additional information is available at the NCTC website.
Note: Tuition is not applicable to FWS, BLM and NPS employees.
The course provides basic information regarding all aspects of endangered species petition management, candidate assessment, PECE evaluation, critical habitat designation and listing/delisting determinations. Case studies and interactive exercises are used to reinforce instruction.
College Credit: 2
- Identify the Service's obligations and authorities for listing species as threatened or endangered under Section 4 of the ESA and how these obligations relate to other parts of the ESA;
- Define a species, including distinct population segments;
- Explain Service compliance responsibilities under FOIA, FACA, and APA related to candidate assessment and listing;
- Identify how to establish and maintain a complete administrative record of the Service's actions associated with a species' review for listing and/or critical habitat designation;
- Describe the steps for placing and prioritizing a species on the candidate list;
- Describe how pre-listing conservation influences the need for listing of species;
- Describe the management of petitions to list or delist species or to designate critical habitat;
- Identify the steps for determining if critical habitat is prudent and determinable;
- Describe the need for and the steps involved in developing an outreach strategy for the entire listing process.
Target Audience: Endangered species program employees whose duties include ESA - Section 4 listing and candidate assessment and conservation responsibilities, and others interested in this subject.
|Delivery Method||Instructor Led
|Course Content Contact||RICH BULAVINETZ; Phone: 304.876.7340; Email: Richard_Bulavinetz@fws.gov;
|Extracted from DOI LEARN on||9/1/2014 4:03:00 AM