The New Supervisor Development Program (NSDP)
The New Supervisor Development Program (NSDP) is a suite of courses (both classroom based and distance learning) designed to give supervisors within the Department of the Interior the knowledge and skills necessary to perform their jobs during the 12-month probationary period of their initial appointment.
Target Audience - New supervisors in their 12-month probationary period. (Note: If a Bureau elects to exempt any of their higher graded employees from the 3 day "Supervisory Skills Workshop", alternative supervisory training can be identified and substituted by that Bureau. This does not apply to FWS supervisors.)
Overview of the Four Program Elements in the NSDP (Elements 1-3 provide 40 hours of training)
- Complete all available Distance Learning (On Demand) Prerequisite Courses. These must be taken prior to attending the instructor led “Supervisory Skills Workshop”. Each of these courses provides 1½ hours of training. All eight courses, once developed, will total 12 hours of training.
- Attend the three day “Supervisory Skills Workshop” which provides 24 hours of training
- Complete 4 hours of EEO/Reasonable Accommodations training. Each Region within FWS has information for you on how to obtain this training and what training topics count. Please contact your Region’s EEO office for more information. (Other Bureaus within DOI should refer to their own regional offices for more information on obtaining this training.)
- Complete courses from the second 40-hour Toolbox as needed according to the new supervisor’s Individualized Development Plan (IDP) to gain competencies in important areas. These are “Just-in-time” resources available, as needed such as in the following topics: Hiring and Recruitment, Interviewing, Staffing Your Organization, and a 360 degree self-awareness assessment.
Four Steps To Program Completion - Sequence of Instruction in the New Supervisor Development Program (NSDP):
Step 1: Complete all of the following Distance Learning (On Demand) courses prior to attending the Workshop. These eight courses are pre-requisites and can be taken in any order prior to the Workshop.
- The Role of the Supervisor - DOI-SUPV-OLT-101 *
- Merit System Principles - DOI-SUPV-OLT-102 *
- Supervisory Ethics - DOI-SUPV-OLT-103 *
- Managing Employee Performance - DOI-SUPV-OLT-105 *
- Conduct and Performance-Based Actions - DOI-SUPV-OLT-106 *
- Leveraging Diversity - DOI-SUPV-OLT-107 *
- Pay and Leave for Supervisors - DOI-SUPV-OLT-109 *
- Safety (Under Development)
Step 2: Attend the “Supervisory Skills Workshop” – 3 Day
See course description and objectives. This Workshop includes multiple opportunities to apply content delivered in pre-requisite courses and uses a skills-based, cumulative assessment.
Step 3: EEO/Reasonable Accommodations Requirement:
Complete 4 hours of EEO/Reasonable Accommodations training. Each Region within FWS has information for you on how to obtain this training and what training topics count. Please contact your Region’s EEO office for more information. (Other Bureaus within DOI should refer to their own regional offices for more information on obtaining this training.)
Step 4: Supervisor Tool Box DL On-demand (DOI Learn) - taken as needed after the instructor led “Supervisory Skills Workshop”
- Staffing Your Organization - DOI-SUPV-OLT-104
- Recruiting and Hiring for Supervisors
- Interviewing Skills for Supervisors
- Grievance Procedures for Supervisors
- Other resources available from SkillSoft: Decision Making, Managing Change, The Basics of Delegation
Participants receive credit for the following training hours:
- 24 hours of training for attending the Supervisory Skills Workshop
- 1½ hours for each of the DL courses completed
- 1½ hours for ‘Leveraging Diversity’ prerequisite course
- 2½ hours for attending the Supervisory Skills Workshop