Knowledge Quiz Answers
The following answers were presented in the narrative accompanying the slide set. Students will probably offer other answers derived from various other sources of information.
Return to quiz
- What does endangered mean? (a species that is in immediate danger of becoming extinct and needs protection to survive)
- What are two examples of endangered species? How did each of them become endangered? (gray wolves/killed by humans; spotted owls (threatened)/habitat loss/old growth forests; whooping cranes/habitat loss/wetlands; black-footed ferret/habitat loss/prairie dogs; tigers/exploitation/illegal killing; manatee/human boat propellers; metalmark butterfly; green pitcher plant; cory cactus/humans over-collecting)
- What is the main reason most species become endangered? (habitat loss)
- What are two examples of species that became endangered because something in their ecosystem had become disturbed? spotted owls (threatened)/old growth forests cut; whooping cranes/wetlands drained; black footed ferret/prairie dogs eliminated; bald eagles and brown pelicans/DDT poisoning of the waters supporting their fish supply)
- Name two ways that wildlife biologists are working to save endangered species. (enforcing Endangered Species Act; reintroduction of ferrets; making refuges; banning DDT; watching for changes in ecosystems like old growth forests; research; tracking animals with radio equipment; captive breeding programs)
- What are two species that are success stories, brought back from the brink of extinction? (American alligator; bald eagle)
- How can you help? (learn as much as you can about the endangered species in your area; visit a nearby national wildlife refuge or nature center; volunteer to help; don't buy species that have been taken from the wild; don't buy products made of threatened and endangered wild animals.