This course is designed for Service employees to develop an understanding of the Refuge Administration Act, National Wildlife Refuge System Improvement Act of 1997, to implement its provision in a consistent manner throughout the system.
The class participant will be able to:
1. Describe historical evolution of the National Wildlife Refuge System Improvement Act of 1997 and its relation to the National Wildlife Refuge System Administration Act of 1966 (Acts).
2. List and describe the authorities of the Acts for both the Refuge System and the Refuge Manager.
3. Know what other laws commonly complement or affect implementation of the Acts and explain how they impose obligations on refuge management.
4. Use the Acts as a framework to describe how the main components guide overall management of the Refuge System.
5. Describe how to use the Code of Federal Regulations, policy, and other tools that have been developed from the Acts to implement management actions on Refuges.
Service employees involved with the management and support of refuges with particular emphasis on 0485, 1801, 0486, 0025, and 0401 job series.